Thread: Toon Deck

Dislikes Things NegroCollegeFund's Avatar

Default Toon Deck

Spoiler! Show
    This deck was built originally in a Game Boy Advance game when the real cards were not available in TCG, then revisited in YuGiOh Legacy of the Duelist on PC updated with newly available cards. This deck lacks cards that are not available in that game, such as "Toon Dark Magician" and probably other great options.

Toon Deck
    40 Card Main Deck

Strategy: The main objective of this deck is to saturate the field with Toon Monsters, a card genre capable of attacking directly under specific conditions, and to spam direct attacks before your opponent can overcome the vast support arsenal available to toon type monsters. The most important card in the deck, which comically enough is absent from this build, is called "Toon World.". "Toon World" is a permanent spell card who's effect reads along the lines of "Pay 1000 LP to activate this card" Its effects end there, however a majority of your deck requires "Toon World" be present, face up on the field, to activate or exist. In this deck, we replace "Toon World" with the absurdly strong "Toon Kingdom" which reads as follows: When this card is activated: Banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck, face-down. This card's name becomes "Toon World" while in the Field Zone. Your opponent cannot target Toon monsters you control with card effects. If a Toon monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can banish 1 card from the top of your Deck, face-down, for each of those monster(s) instead. It is the most important card of the deck. You want one as early as possible, and it is the only card worth protecting at all costs.

Typically, your initial goal with this deck is to access Toon Kingdom. This can be done most efficiently through "Toon Table of Contents" which allows you to search your deck for any card with Toon in its name, and add it to your hand. Between those 3 "TToC", and your 3 "Toon Kingdom", 15% of your deck is equivalent to a "toon kingdom". This greatly increases the chances of pulling one as fast as possible. Coupled with varying draw support in the form of "shard of greed", "pot of duality", and "trade in" (replace 2 pot of duality with graceful charity and pot of greed if playing traditional format), "Toon Kingdom" is readily available, extremely reliably. To Go along with this vital card, is protection. The destruction of "Toon Kingdom" is your biggest threat and your playstyle and decisions should be based on this. To help preserve it, I employ "Magic Reflector" You can pick one card to place a "counter"(token) on. if that card would ever be destroyed, remove the counter instead. i also use a copy of "Skill Prisoner" as it is a decent utility card that can be activated from the graveyard to protect Toon Kingdom, or something else threatened by an effect monster. Aside from establishing a Toon Kingdom friendly environment, you will need Monsters- There's no shortage of toon monsters but i have found that "Toon Dark Magician Girl" is my most frequent path to victory. Toons have varying rule sets. It has been in the past referred to as "a type" "b type" and "c type", and probably still is. There are five classes of "Toon monsters", dubbed by fans Class A, B, C, D, and E.
    Spoiler! Show

Class A
    Class A Toons: "Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon", "Toon Summoned Skull" (OCG only), "Manga Ryu-Ran" (OCG only), "Toon Mermaid" (OCG only)
    • Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.
    • Must first Special Summon itself from the hand, by Tributing the same number of monsters as for a Tribute Summon of a monster with its original Level (the
    • number is specified in its card text), while you control "Toon World".
    • After being Special Summoned properly, it can be Special Summoned from the Graveyard or while banished by any appropriate effect (it is not necessary to control "Toon World").
    • Cannot attack the turn it is Special Summoned.
    • Requires payment of 500 LP to attack.
    • If "Toon World" on the field is destroyed, so is the Toon monster.
    • If the opponent doesn't control any Toon monsters, it can attack directly. Otherwise, it must target a Toon monster for its attacks.

Class B
    Class B Toons: "Toon Dark Magician Girl"
    • Must first Special Summon itself from the hand, by Tributing the same number of monsters as for a Tribute Summon of a monster with its original Level (the number is specified in its card text), while you control "Toon World".
    • After being Special Summoned properly, it can be Special Summoned from the Graveyard or while banished by any appropriate effect (it is not necessary to control "Toon World").
    • Can attack the turn it is Summoned.
    • If the opponent doesn't control any Toon monsters, it can attack directly. Otherwise, it must target a Toon monster for its attacks.

Class C
    Class C Toons: "Toon Cannon Soldier", "Toon Gemini Elf", "Toon Goblin Attack Force", "Toon Masked Sorcerer".
    • Can be Normal Summoned/Set.
    • Cannot Special Summon itself from the hand.
    • Cannot attack the turn it is Summoned.
    • If the player controls "Toon World" and the opponent doesn't control any Toon monsters, it can attack directly.

Class D
    Class D Toons: "Toon Ancient Gear Golem", "Toon Barrel Dragon", "Toon Buster Blader", "Toon Cyber Dragon", "Red-Eyes Toon Dragon", "Toon Dark Magician".
    • Can be Normal Summoned/Set.
    • Cannot Special Summon itself from the hand (unless due to the base card's effect).
    • Cannot attack the turn it is Summoned.
    • Nothing happens to the Toon monster if "Toon World" is destroyed.
    • If the player controls "Toon World" and the opponent doesn't control any Toon monsters, it can attack directly.

Class E
    Class E Toons: "Toon Summoned Skull" (TCG only), "Manga Ryu-Ran" (TCG only), "Toon Mermaid" (TCG only)
    • Requires "Toon World" to be on the field to be Special Summoned (even if it has already been correctly Summoned).
    • Must first Special Summon itself from the hand by Tributing the same number of monsters as for a Tribute Summon of a monster with its current Level.
    • Cannot attack the turn it is Special Summoned.
    • Requires payment of 500 LP to attack.
    • If "Toon World" is destroyed, so is the Toon monster.
    • If your opponent controls no Toon monsters, it can attack directly. Otherwise, it must target a Toon monster for its attacks.

The supporting cards for this deck are actually very nice, with the looming drawback of being useless without a Toon World on the field. Toon Table of Contents gets a second mention, because it allows you to search and add to your hand any of the other 22 cards in the deck with Toon in their name. Comic Hand is a Snatch Steal without the cost, that turns stolen monsters into toons themselves, and also makes for great tribute material for your own summons. Mimicat is a monster reborn that also works on magic and trap cards! Spirit Barrier is a great combo with Toon Kingdom, as it prevents the damage you would other wise take during the battles in which Toon Kingdom prevents your monsters destruction. I only use 1 of them right now, but i might add a 2nd to help with its draw frequency.

As noted in the initial paragraph, the biggest weakness in this deck is its dependence on Toon Kingdom. If poor drawing, or absurd card destruction manages to get through all your "Toon Kingdom" cards, then you are left with many useless cards and very few options. Many of the monsters are generally weak, so in head to head monster battles without the help of their support cards, they will not survive. Their inability to attack on the turn they are summoned guarantees that any strategy you hope to employ will carry across your opponents turns, exposing them to the risk of removal or prevention. With only 3 monsters capable of being normal summoned without a tribute, card advantage plays a large role in success. without monsters on the field you have nothing to protect your life points, and without tribute fodder, in most cases you will find it difficult to summon your larger monsters. The threat of Toon Kingdom's removal or destruction cannot be overstated. You will probably never win a duel without having toon kingdom on your side of the field.

15 Effect Monster Cards:

• Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
    • Obelisk the Tormentor
    • Toon Ancient Gear Golem
    • Toon Barrel Dragon
    • Toon Cyber Dragon
    • Toon Cyber Dragon
    • Toon Cyber Dragon
    • Toon Dark Magician Girl
    • Toon Gemini Elf
    • Toon Gemini Elf
    • Toon Masked Sorcerer
    • Toon Mermaid
    • Toon Mermaid

14 Spell Cards:

• Comic Hand
    • Comic Hand
    • Comic Hand
    • Magic Reflector
    • Magic Reflector
    • Mimicat
    • Mimicat
    • Pot of Duality
    • Pot of Duality (Pot of Greed)
    • Pot of Duality (Graceful Charity)
    • Shadow Toon
    • Shadow Toon
    • Shard of Greed
    • Shard of Greed
    • Toon Kingdom
    • Toon Kingdom
    • Toon Kingdom
    • Toon Table of Contents
    • Toon Table of Contents
    • Toon Table of Contents
    • Trade In (Guarded Treasure or 2nd Spirit Barrier)

4 Trap Cards:

• Skill Prisoner
    • Spirit Barrier
    • Toon Briefcase
    • Toon Mask

Professional Wall Of Dicks Climber DocSmoke's Avatar

are we supposed to play this

Quote Originally Posted by DocSmoke View Post
    are we supposed to play this
    if you play the game and desire a toon deck

Toon cards always felt very niche and overshadowed later as more booster packs came out and like you said, you're putting a lot of reliance on one spell card and without it there's no possible chance to really do anything at all. I think it would be neat if they revisited the Toon concept again but the direction yugioh has gone lately probably won't look at them again which is a shame because they were really unique but I think the only reason Toons even exist was due to the anime needing Pegasus to have some kind of childish theme to make him look like a creepy villain and once toons served their purpose, the TGC makers didn't feel the need to come back to it (except for toon kingdom that released not to long ago which was probably put in just because it was in a throwback pack).

i cant speak for todays meta but the toon deck above is raping everything in this particular video game. i cant stress the value of magic reflectors. you are probably right about the other stuff but i dont try to speculate on things like that i just play childrens card games

i have always approached this game with a flavor build bias. since i was always the best anyway, and also had all the best cards, i could build more fun themed shit and still beat all the other kids who used shit cards. so im not saying this or any of my decks are the most efficient or even most efficient in their archtype, theyre just good enough for my purposes. i like to revisit or just reuse my old decks from back in the day and wen i saw toon kingdom i knew i needed to revisit my old, less effective physically real toon deck. i also keep these here as checklists for the inevitable day i buy all the shit im missing for these in card form

hm that new yugioh game on steam looks pretty cool i've been meaning to get back into the card game for years

i enjoy it and it does have multiplayer too but i havent messed with that yet