Thread: Overwatch

US Ambassador to Dumbassland McFool's Avatar

Default Overwatch

Any of you fags playing overwatch? It's the new team based fps from Blizzard; its similar to TF2 except not 10 years old. It's also not on Steam, so if you're playing it nobody knows because we all use steam.

also shit is retarded maybe xfire should return. I have two steam accounts, origin, battle net and even a gog thing. I even have a uplay although thats for when shit makes me launch it via steam

I'm going to attempt to play it on my PC and see if it runs good, if not it looks like it's the PS4 version for me.
    The main selling point of this game is that it's TF2 with the cover girl having an accent that arouses me.
    Edit: can barely run the game on pc but it's pretty fun I suggest giving it a go
    Last edited by TheOutlawZero; May 5th, 2016 at 12:55 AM.

Fuck Widowmaker/Bastion
    Quote Originally Posted by McFool View Post
    user retardation is the root of most problems.

widowmaker is stupidly overpowered; bastion is just cheap as fuck

I think its a fun game and a good replacement for TF2; I can see it bleeding a lot of their playerbase away

widowmaker is stupidly overpowered; bastion is just cheap as fuck

I think its a fun game and a good replacement for TF2; I can see it bleeding a lot of their playerbase away
    after 10 years I think a lot of people are going to move on and overwatch offers a lot of good over TF2 right now since most people have experienced all of it

After playing the game for free during the beta with some friends I canít really recommend it to be honest. The content is pretty severely lacking for the price you pay; the game is alright and Iíve had a decent time playing it but I would only pay maybe 15-20 dollars for it Ė it feels strongly of a F2P game with cosmetic premium content.

The game has a lot of wonderful Blizzard polish if youíre into that but the whole thing feels unorganized and messy at the same time. The rounds are about 5 minutes long, during which you can expect to live and die 20+ times depending on the game mode. Contrasted to TF2, where every class has roughly the same amount of health for the role, classes in Overwatch exhibit such a large spread of health and damage for the sake of variety with death coming so fast that strategy really suffers. You will die in 1-2 seconds in this game if you mis-step; death doesnít mean a whole lot.

On the plus side, the game has an appreciably high skill ceiling. I can absolutely shit on kids with most characters because damage falloff is relatively nonexistent at any appreciable length thanks to map design and most characters have fast moving/hitscan projectiles. For example, the character Mei (fat ice woman) is mostly used to be a dick and make the game not fun for other players; she slows niggas down and gives everyone super cheap kills. She also has a gun that shoots icicles that can rock children with headshots if you donít suck at video games. The maps are decently pretty if bland in design and everything looks nice Ė and runs well. The game is well optimized, and I ran it at 1440p 120 hz on desktop no sweat and my laptop could run it at 4k decently well on a relatively low power gpu (960m = 700 series desktop card). It controls well and responsively Ė perhaps even better than TF2.

I thought it was pretty good. A lot of TF2 comp people are dissing on it for not having skill-based movement, but I didn't think it was that big of an issue playing it casually. Though it was kinda shitty how long you spend walking on some maps because there's either no forward spawn or the map is just shittily long (like Goldrush final stage in TF2). I guess some way to move faster if you were good at the game (e.g. rocket jumping) would make it more fun. The map design wasn't too offensive for most of the maps. Some of them I actually liked (the KOTH maps are pretty cool for the most part). I never really had stalemates in the game, people could always coordinate and attack if they're not bad.

Aiming didn't feel too bad like some other games coming out in recent memory. It felt responsive enough to not piss me off. It's no quake-engine based aiming but w/e. Because of the way the classes are designed you can't really carry too hard by being good at videogames, which kinda sucks. Any combination of two people actually working together can easily shut down one person who has played an FPS in the last 10 years. After having played it for about 20 levels, the classes that I hated in the beginning started being easier to counter (they're still annoying AF but at least they're baby easy. Some changes are def gonna be made to make them less frustrating to play against while not nerfing them into the ground. At least I hope so, Blizzard might be retarded). You can tell the game's really designed for the newer crowd of people whose only experience with PC games is a moba in that sense. Doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, it's not too offensive as an fps tho.

Skins and stuff are nice. Blizzard definitely could make a fuckload off of people just buying skins if they allow you to pay for the currency instead of only getting it through loot boxes. They probably will, it's a pretty easy way to just print money. Only being able to get stuff every time you level up also sucks, so I hope they do that.

That said, I'm a sucker and ended up pre-ordering it. I thought it was decent enough to be fun to play with friends every once in a while. I'll probably get enough out of the game to justify the price I spent. If anyone else plans on picking it up, probably go through some third party place to get it cheaper (I like G2A).

I probably won't jump fully over from TF2 just because I do like competitive TF2. Overwatch isn't the same in a lot of ways. It probably will take a lot of TF2's playerbase if Valve doesn't step up, but for a lot of people (like me) it's just not enough like TF2 to keep me interested in actually trying to get good at it in the same way that comp TF2 hooks me (also: Comp tf2 lmao)
    Last edited by Wari; May 13th, 2016 at 10:42 AM.
    user retardation is the root of most problems.